We Publish Only Poetry. Please read the following guidelines carefully and in their entirety. Disregarding our guidelines may result in your submission being disqualified.
- The reading period for Issue Six goes from January 1 through March 31, 2020. Work submitted outside this window will not be read. The issue is unthemed and will be published in May 2020.
- IMPORTANT – We read blind, so don’t put your name anywhere on your work or on the title of the file you attach. If we see a name, the submission will be disqualified and we won’t read it.
- ALSO IMPORTANT – Send 1-3 poems, no longer than 50 lines each, in a single document. Begin each poem on a new page.
- Submit only once per reading period. If your work is accepted, we ask that you wait a year before submitting again.
- You can add a cover letter and a 100-word, 3rd-person bio in the appropriate section on the form if you wish, but we are more interested in the quality of the work you send now than in your past achievements. If your work is accepted, we will contact you for your author’s bio.
- Don’t send song lyrics or greeting card verse, poems with explicit language, or poems that are overtly political, sexual, or discriminatory. It is unlikely that we will publish rhyming verse. It is unlikely that we will publish translations.
- Please take a peek at our past issues before you submit. They are available for free under the Issues tab, so there’s no reason not to! We hope this will aid you as you select the poems you send us. Plus, we think the poems in our issues are fantastic. Prepare to be inspired!
- We like Times New Roman and 12-point font best, so if you want to make us happy, you’ll like that too. Also, we accept only .doc, .docx or PDF files.
- Occasionally, we may ask for a minor edit in a poem we really believe in.
- While we’d love to compensate you for your beautiful words, we can’t do that yet.
- We only accept work via Submittable at the link below. Simultaneous submissions are perfectly OK, but please let us know if your work is accepted somewhere else by making a note in Submittable. Previously published work is not accepted.
- We acquire first North American serial rights for poems we publish. All rights revert to the author upon publication. Should your work be subsequently published in a chapbook or full collection, please mention that it appeared first in Rockvale Review.
- Thank you for sending us your work. We appreciate the chance to read it. We generally respond within 12 weeks.
The featured artist for Issue Six is writer/photographer/beachcomber Shelley Thomas from San Rafael, CA . Shelley will pair every accepted poem with a piece of of art.
The featured composer for Issue Six is professional flute player, Michael Morton. Michael will respond to five poems with an original piece of music.
We look forward to reading your work. Surprise us, amaze us, make us gasp! Show us the power of your words!