A Full-Week Fiction Retreat - July 21-27, 2019
Join us as traditionally published author & experienced book coach Sheila Athens shares the secrets she’s gained by providing developmental edits on dozens of manuscripts. In addition to workshops and plenty of writing time, you’ll get individualized feedback on the first ten pages of your novel. You’ll learn the elements that make literary agents, acquiring editors and readers latch onto a story & fall willingly under its spell.
This special retreat packs two valuable writing experiences into one week. First, writers will enjoy a full residency with independent writing time and the freedom to choose how they spend the majority of their day. Writers provide and prepare their own food (with the exception of the Welcome Dinner). We provide plenty of pantry space and a large kitchen is available for use around the clock. Second, writers will attend a 2-hour writing workshop each day from 10:00 to Noon led by author and book coach Sheila Athens. The time of structured learning balances the free time so that every writer receives both community and solitude, time to be engaged and time to be at the page.
We hope you’ll join us for this unique and power-packed retreat at Rockvale. We’re eager to welcome you and help you discover how to make your stories as strong as they can be.
• Traditionally published novelist with a major publishing company
• Experienced book coach, both via her private practice & via Author Accelerator, one of the nation’s most well-respected providers of book coaching & developmental editing services
• Current Chair of the Women’s Fiction Writers Association Agent Pitch Events, which means she’s communicating on a regular basis with agents who are currently open to submissions
• Gained her knowledge by attending many of the nation’s foremost writing conferences & seminars, such as Robert McKee’s Story seminar & Donald Maass’s Writing the Breakout Novel.
• Experienced presenter & facilitator, including:
- Former Training Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island
- Former Vice President of Human Resources for a Fortune 100 company
- Has presented writing-related topics on both a regional and national level