Rockvale Writers’ Group
Rockvale Writers’ Group is comprised of two separate writing-related entities. Although these entities share the name Rockvale, the same founder, and are linked via their websites, they operate separately. Think of them as sisters within the same family – glad to be related, but with unique personalities and distinct purposes.
Rockvale Writers’ Colony, located in College Grove, TN, is a writers’ residency and retreat center tucked in the beautiful rolling hills just south of Nashville.
Rockvale Review is an online poetry journal that publishes two issues a year. The journal presents poetry by established, emerging, and beginner poets and pairs each poem with a piece of art or photography chosen by a featured artist. A featured musician/composer responds to 3-5 accepted poems in each issue with an original piece of music. Poetry, visual art, and music live side by side in Rockvale.
Please make sure you choose the correct Submission / Application form!
We accept applications year-round and only through Submittable. The $30.00 application fee is non-refundable.
If you've already applied and been accepted, this form is for you! Do not use this form if this is your first time applying to Rockvale Writers' Colony.
In order to simplify the residency date request process, we're asking returning writers to communicate with us through Submittable. There is no fee to request a new residency for returning (already accepted) writers.
Please read the following requirements and guidelines carefully and in their entirety before applying. If you have questions, email Sandy at email@example.com.
- The Rockvale "Believe" Fellowship is open to writers of Creative Nonfiction. We define CNF as memoir, personal and lyric essay, and literary journalism.
- The writing must present serious illness as its main theme and explore the impact illness has on life and relationships. A personal connection is paramount. We put no limitations on the definition of serious illness.
- The writing, as a whole, should not be previously published. We will consider work in which small portions (such as individual essays in a book of essays) are published. The writer should disclose this information in the application.
- The application fee is $30. This is non-refundable.
- The application requires a description of the writing, an excerpt, and a paragraph detailing how the fellowship would aid the writer.
- Fellowship applications are accepted between March 1 and December 31, 2020.
- The recipient of this fellowship will receive a 2-week writer's residency at Rockvale Writers' Colony in College Grove, TN. The residency must be completed before December 31, 2022.
- A small stipend of $200 will be given to the fellowship recipient upon arrival at the colony to compensate for travel and food. Expenses beyond $200 are the responsibility of the writer.
- All rules and policies of Rockvale Writers' Colony are in effect during this fellowship. The recipient will be expected to sign the writer's contract before arrival. The recipient should familiarize themselves with RWC (our setting, our mission, and the way residencies work) by carefully reading our website. We strongly advise reading everything under the "Residencies" tab, especially "Information" and "FAQ's".
- Writers not selected for the fellowship will have the option of scheduling a residency at the usual RWC rates.